The Hell Climb 10K+ is a 6.5-mile hillclimb from the base of Mountain Lake in Giles County Virginia to the cool clear air at the summit. Runners will ascend more than 1,800 feet as they follow Mountain Lake Road. There is no course record...yet. Be the first to hold the record!
- Packet pick-up will be at RunAbout Sports Blacksburg from 4:00PM to 7:00PM, Friday April 4th, and at the Mountain Lake Lodge from 6:45am-8:00am Saturday Morning.
- TIMING CHIPS WILL BE HANDED OUT AT MOUNTAIN LAKE ONLY ON SATURDAY MORNING! You MUST come to the top of Mountain Lake to pick-up your chip.
- Runners will park at the Mountain Lake Lodge and ride the shuttle buses to the start (bottom of Rt. 700). There is absolutely NO PARKING AT THE START.
- Buses leave at 8:15am. Please arrive early and be ready for the bus. Bring only what you need to the start. We will have water at the start.
- The course measures 6.5 miles and nearly 1800’ of gain. So, 10K+! The right lane will be closed for racers but please still run to the side of the road and away from the middle, especially on the tight turns. The left lane will be open to traffic descending the mountain. Most turns will be coned off for runners and drivers safety.
- Water stop at approximately 2.5 and 4.1 miles. If you need more than one water stop we encourage carrying a hand bottle.
- Spectators-Remember that the ascent lane will be CLOSED. If you watch the start (there is no parking at the start) please drive out 460W to RT.613 to gain access to the top of the mountain.
- WEATHER-Area temperatures average in the 60's during this time of year. HOWEVER, Blacksburg will be 10 degrees cooler than Roanoke, and Mountain Lake will be cooler yet. The finish is at 4000’ and if there is rain at the base there could be snow on top. Hopefully early April will provide perfect conditions.
- FOOD- Standard Post Race Goodies. The Mountain Lake Lodge has a great lunch and will be open for the public.
- We will send out more details prior to the event.
Overall Winners Receive A Gift Certificate To RunAbout Sports
Age-Group awards will be Hell Climb Medals; Every participant receives a free bottle